Choose your own adventure - A new start

Spring cleaning.  Time to clear out your old things and chase the cobwebs form the corners.  The corners of your garage and your mind.

Today's Sunday and it's the first day of the year to have really great weather.  The birds are singing and there are wisps of cloud slowly floating past in a pale blue sky.  It's a day I've looked out for every year since I was a teenager, since I took up mountain biking and waited for the new summer riding season to begin.  It's the first day that you know winter's over and summer is coming, even if it still feels far off.

Smells like summer
But unlike any other year, I had a funny realisation this week.  In less than 7 days I'll be 28 and a half.  No big deal right?  Well it means I'll be 30 in 18 months and most everyone has heard of the idea of a cliched list of "things to do before you're 30".  Why 30?  Who knows...

So last Tuesday lunchtime I sat at work and thought, what DO I want to do before I'm 30? The seemingly popular bungee jumping, skydiving, backpacking round the far east and the like didn't really seem to appeal.  But one thing did.  More mountain biking.

I've been riding mountain bikes for a shocking 14 or so years.  I lived in Whistler for the summer 2005 season and had a blast.  Coming back to the UK and a full time job seemed to rob me of much of my time to ride.

I decided that this excuse was getting stale.  I quickly realised that something awesome to do would be to ride all of the UK's trail centres in the next year and a half, before I'm 30.

I had no idea how long it would take to put a worthy list together!  As of right now I'm about 50% through putting together a draft list of centres from Tom Fenton's excellent book "Mountian biking trail centres" and other sources.  I think I've easily got 60+ centres, so if things pan out it's going to be a busy 18 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment